Maniaci Insurance Services, Inc. is an independent, multi-service, insurance brokerage and counseling firm. As benefit advisors, representing all major insurance carriers, Maniaci Insurance Services, Inc. can assist you in determining real solutions to your benefit needs and effectively manage your benefit costs.
This is the last in a series of updates we are providing employers and health plan administrators responsible for implementing the federal healthcare reform act or Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). In addition to providing a timeline highlighting key milestones and information about the medical loss ratio and rebates, we are providing a list of valuable next steps for implementing the law. It is important to get ready now. We expect an avalanche of regulatory guidelines in the next few months, and 2014, with many key mandates, is just 12 short months away.
Important Next for Implementing the Affordable Care Act
1. Review your current plan design for compliance, including
- Health plan features
- Grandfather status
2. Perform a compliance audit, including:
- SPD—Summary Plan Description
- MMD—Material Modification Description
- W-2 compliance
- Non-discrimination text (105H)
- SBC—Summary of Benefits & Coverage
- FSA Review—Flexible Spending Account
- MLR—Medical Loss Ratio
3. Develop a strategy for your firm, including:
- Financial strategy—pay of play option
- Administrative strategy
- Revisit your advisor/consultant selection, as an insurance agent with limited scope may not serve your needs
The moral here is to be prepared. Please contact us with any questions you might have about your current plan and conducting a performance audit, as well as developing a strategy for your firm.
(Source: United Benefits Advisors and Maniaci Insurance Services, Inc., 2012)