Regulatory Law and Government Agency
California is a heavily regulated environment, both for private and public entities. Each faces mounting regulation and increasing costs that restrict their ability to function and successfully plan for the future.
Cummins & White represents a broad and diverse array of clients with government agency and regulatory law needs. We represent private businesses, healthcare providers (including hospitals), manufacturers, landowners, petroleum distributors, dealers and transporters, farm operations, developers, home builders, nonprofit entities and public agencies on a myriad of regulatory matters.
For more than 18 years, Cummins & White has been proud to serve public agencies on a variety of matters. Our broad experience, and historic commitment representing both private parties and public agencies, provides a unique perspective from which our attorneys creatively achieve positive results for our clients.
We offer expertise in the following areas:
- Land use, zoning and subdivision
- California environmental impact laws (including CEQA, the Coastal Act and resource conservation laws)
- Redevelopment law and economic development
- Affordable housing, density bonus and inclusionary zoning requirements
- Public agency representation
- Public acquisition and disposition of property (including eminent domain, inverse condemnation and relocation assistance)
- Public works procurement and protests
- Prevailing wage issues
- Insurance law issues applicable to public agencies and public works
- Mass tort claims applicable to public agencies and public works
- Public sector personnel and labor laws
- Water law (including water supply assessments and written verifications)
- Municipal reorganizations (including annexation, incorporations, detachment consolidations and mergers)
- Government transparency laws (including open meeting and public records laws)
- Code enforcement and building standards
- Property tax matters, development fees and regulatory assessments
- Historic preservation
- Environmental and hazardous materials laws
Cummins & White represents clients before state and local regulatory agencies by providing technical advice on a myriad of California and local laws and regulations. However, just as importantly, our attorneys advise our private and public clients on the strategic and tactical ramifications of how these laws and regulations affect their operations and plans for growth.