Political and Election Law
Cummins & White represents corporations, public agencies, nonprofit organizations, associations, individuals and elected officials in a wide variety of political law and election law matters.
The election and political law practice group is lead by partner Michael R.W. Houston, who serves as outside political and election law counsel to several State Legislators, cities, nonprofits and corporations, including Fortune 500 companies. He is a member of the California Association of Political Attorneys. Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Houston served as staff member for a United States Representative.
Cummins & White provides election law advice in the following areas:
- Campaign finance reporting and tracking political contributions
- Political action committee (PAC) formation and operation
- Tax exempt entity formation and operation
- Lobbyist/Lobbyist Employer registration and reporting
- Statewide and local ballot initiatives and referenda
- Investigations and enforcement matters before ethics and law enforcement agencies such as the Fair Political Practice Commission
- Litigation involving election contests, ballot statements and initiative/referendum
- Government ethics laws
A number of our attorneys advise public agencies on government ethics and election matters. This experience provides keen insight into the way election law and political laws are enforced.
Cummins & White has expertise in forming and advising many types of tax-exempt entities, including issue advocacy groups, social welfare associations, trade associations and political organizations. Many of our tax-exempt clients are subject to regulation under state and local campaign laws, in addition to tax laws.